Skip to main content

First night nerves

There always has to be a First Night of course, but the celebratory, hope-filled kind on which the theatrical industry has become so focused is particularly profound when it not only ushers in a first production, but an entire collected, carefully curated season, as ours does tonight at Opera Holland Park. All of the festivals in Britain will understand; we essentially vanish for nine months and pop up again. In our case, an entire theatre reappears, teased from the ground up, dressed, primped and hopefully improved each year. Having to recreate the space in which we work adds a dimension of anxiety that isn't there when one is opening a production in a "normal" theatre.  So when you visit us tonight - if you are lucky enough to have a ticket - you will be entering not only a world that Puccini created, interpreted and put together by James Clutton the producer, but you will be enjoying it in a place that didn't exist three months ago and over which countless people have, in envisioning and enacting its physical effect, sweated over. 

The venues in which human kind has sought cultural enlightenment over the centuries have always been part of the experience: from the Greeks and Romans to the lyric theatres of the modern era, the  theatre would overawe as much as the art on stage. Our theatre isn't quite as inspiring as the amphitheatre in Ephesus, or La Fenice or countless other vast and ornate houses, but it was created with aesthetic gratification in mind. And the technical challenges of joining its various elements on a small and challenging Grade 1 listed site take us into the minutiae of wood colour, carpet texture and paint; from a pig's ear emerges a silk purse and we hope the theatre is admired too. From an architectural pot pourri of Jacobean ruin, Frei Otto inspired high tensile fabric, steel and truss dripping with LED technology will emerge the western American desert and a bandit to steal Minnie's heart. If I wrote it down, they would never go for it on Dragon's Den would they?

So tonight, as everybody gathers, James will immerse himself in the traditional backstage hullabaloo of nerves and excitement and I'll probably shout at someone for not raking the gravel properly. That is the nature of created spaces in which we invite immensely talented people to do their thing in front of a thousand expectant patrons who not only trust us to offer artistic value for their entrance fee but give no quarter to the fact they would have been sitting on a lawn a few short weeks ago.  At the end of the night - hopefully - our only concern will be the volume of applause, smiling faces, the body language of attendant critics (yes, critics, we read your body language) and a welcome celebratory glug of something strong. But if anyone mentions the gravel, I shall get very cross indeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gelb and The Met

Having posted a piece that was kind to critics and thus risking opprobrium from all quarters, I suppose I ought to be wary of writing a piece that is sympathetic to the current opera demon, Peter Gelb.  Let us be clear, I don't know what the detailed financial situation at the Met is, I don't know how its budgets are split and allocated, I don't know how much they spend on sets and productions. I just read selective figures used negatively and that is always something we should be wary of.  What Gelb and the Met are going through is probably entirely unique in the opera world given the scale of economics involved and the accusations of mismanagement that are being thrown around are hard to reconcile with some of the realities; it is certainly true, for example, that Gelb has taken the Met's turnover from $222 million to over $300 million in eight years which doesn't immediately suggest mismanagement, but that is as glib and superficial an analysis as anything else I

Honorary Doctorate acceptance speech

I have been asked for the text of my acceptance speech from the graduation ceremony at Oxford Brookes University, 20th June, 2016. The audience was 170 graduates, in various arts, performing, publishing and other creative disciplines, as well as hundreds of their family members. My intention was to confirm that in an age of undervalued arts education, their choices were the correct ones; that despite the prevailing desire of the government for more engineers, mathematicians and computer experts, their talents would come to be as valued as any others. ----------- It is with great surprise and pleasure that I come here today to accept this honorary doctorate, the giving of which is met with more pride than I can actually express. To be recognised by an academic institution is not something I ever thought possible as I grew up. My two oldest children have achieved far more than I have in academia, but, as a competitive Dad I just want to say to them…erm, Doctor?! I am also honoured

Sometimes, facts really don't matter to people

Since the Brexit vote, and especially since the recent Autumn statement, there has been something familiar nagging at me; the remarkable refusal of Brexiters to accept or acknowledge the facts set out by the government and in the OBR's forecasts. It reminds me of something, a feeling I have had before. I know that the expression post-truth annoys a lot of people, but it is a thing, it really exists. People, for whatever reason can knowingly refuse to accept bare facts when it suits them. It isn't a new phenomenon at all. I am bound to say, moreover, that I have tended to experience it in a malign sense, when the things people want to believe are unconscionable or driven by prejudice of one kind or another. Last night I remembered where it was that I had last seen the phenomenon and it was an experience that left me astonished at the time, but which also provoked in me a genuine disgust for my fellow citizens. I am afraid it is an unpleasant parallel scenario, but it was pro