Skip to main content

Ooh I say, what a new season....

It took us a while, but we finally announced the 2015 Investec Opera Holland Park season back in September. We were still dismantling the theatre from the last one and it is now a rush, believe it or not, to be ready for the summer. The autumn is filled with drawing up strategies, doing the budgets and yes, getting the money; lots of generous collars get felt.

The 2015 line-up is a corker for sure. Il trittico represents the big challenge (I bet you thought it would be Aida huh?) because of the difficulties in sustaining a three hour evening featuring three very different pieces. Having Anne Sophie Duprels in two of them will help and knowing our 2012 Schicchi is a lovely production does too. As much as I love GS, I am thrilled by the prospect of Il tabarro and Suor Angelica, the latter opera's final half being profoundly moving.

There is no question that Aida is something of a mountain for any opera company to climb but Verdi did give us some intimacy to work with too and I can announce some hot news; there will be no animals. There, that should prevent the endless jokes about elephants for the next six or so months.

Delibes doesn't get too many run outs these days but Lakme has maintained its popularity and we have some lovely singers in it too. The orientalist obsessions of the late 19th century provoked some delicious creativity (if not terribly PC representations) and Lakme really is far more than that duet. One does wonder why it doesn't get more productions but I'm not complaining.

Jonathan Dove's Flight is a new path in the same way our foray into Britten in 2014 took us into uncharted territory. Giving life to the opera in London for the first time in a professional production seems a remarkable thing to be saying given how popular and successful the piece has been, but it is nevertheless the truth. It is also another chance to see and hear Ellie Laugharne. It is rare for us to produce a repertory work by a living composer (that we didn't commission ourselves) and thankfully, JD is not as abrasive as the last one (Menotti).

L'amore dei tre Re is a revival I have looked forwards to since we did it last in 2007 and to have the genuinely exciting soprano Natalya Romaniw in the production is the icing on the cake. It isn't hard to imagine her in the role of Fiora after her blazing OHP debut in I gioielli della Madonna and in fact, when I first heard her in rehearsal for that show, my mind's eye had her singing "Vita tua, e vita mia!" from the top of that tower during the febrile act 2 duet! So a touch of synchronicity methinks....

We are also looking at our ticket pricing for 2015 after some interesting research carried out after the season; safe to say we will be making the rarities even more appealing and bringing our top and bottom prices closer together, but more on that in due course, along with more casting news.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gelb and The Met

Having posted a piece that was kind to critics and thus risking opprobrium from all quarters, I suppose I ought to be wary of writing a piece that is sympathetic to the current opera demon, Peter Gelb.  Let us be clear, I don't know what the detailed financial situation at the Met is, I don't know how its budgets are split and allocated, I don't know how much they spend on sets and productions. I just read selective figures used negatively and that is always something we should be wary of.  What Gelb and the Met are going through is probably entirely unique in the opera world given the scale of economics involved and the accusations of mismanagement that are being thrown around are hard to reconcile with some of the realities; it is certainly true, for example, that Gelb has taken the Met's turnover from $222 million to over $300 million in eight years which doesn't immediately suggest mismanagement, but that is as glib and superficial an analysis as anything else I

Honorary Doctorate acceptance speech

I have been asked for the text of my acceptance speech from the graduation ceremony at Oxford Brookes University, 20th June, 2016. The audience was 170 graduates, in various arts, performing, publishing and other creative disciplines, as well as hundreds of their family members. My intention was to confirm that in an age of undervalued arts education, their choices were the correct ones; that despite the prevailing desire of the government for more engineers, mathematicians and computer experts, their talents would come to be as valued as any others. ----------- It is with great surprise and pleasure that I come here today to accept this honorary doctorate, the giving of which is met with more pride than I can actually express. To be recognised by an academic institution is not something I ever thought possible as I grew up. My two oldest children have achieved far more than I have in academia, but, as a competitive Dad I just want to say to them…erm, Doctor?! I am also honoured

Sometimes, facts really don't matter to people

Since the Brexit vote, and especially since the recent Autumn statement, there has been something familiar nagging at me; the remarkable refusal of Brexiters to accept or acknowledge the facts set out by the government and in the OBR's forecasts. It reminds me of something, a feeling I have had before. I know that the expression post-truth annoys a lot of people, but it is a thing, it really exists. People, for whatever reason can knowingly refuse to accept bare facts when it suits them. It isn't a new phenomenon at all. I am bound to say, moreover, that I have tended to experience it in a malign sense, when the things people want to believe are unconscionable or driven by prejudice of one kind or another. Last night I remembered where it was that I had last seen the phenomenon and it was an experience that left me astonished at the time, but which also provoked in me a genuine disgust for my fellow citizens. I am afraid it is an unpleasant parallel scenario, but it was pro