Skip to main content

Lawks a mercy! Cheaper prices!


A while ago, I wrote about the need for a recalibration of expectations when it comes to pricing of tickets. I said that we would be doing our bit by trying to bring forward prices that might help that process.

Take a look at the link below, which takes you to our seat and price plan for 2015

Price plan 2015

Many of you will notice, before anything else, I suspect, that our Inspire seats have increased by £2. I also expect this might make some of you cross. But you should go on to notice that we have reduced all of our other prices, except for Aida which remains the same as prices in 2014. Some have reduced by up to 28%.  Before anybody points out that rarities and "harder sells" benefit most, I would remind them that when we last produced L'amore dei tre Re in the same capacity theatre, we were very close to adding an extra performance.

As many of our patrons come to more than one show, in groups, these reductions represent quite a significant collective saving.

The piece I referred to above addressed the issue of audience expectation and the habit of waiting for discounts. OHP has for years been achieving season capacities in the high nineties percentage so it isn't one of our driving issues, but there is no question that our patrons felt the pinch in 2014 - we conducted extensive research into it and the results were pretty clear. This is our response to that.

Of course, this then begs the question of the rise in the Inspire seats. Accessible pricing throughout the arts world is a common thing now, but we give around ten percent of our seats at £17 or entirely free. This has become something of a "given" at OHP and what is often forgotten is that the £17 seats are subsidised, decent seats, as opposed to cheap, "bad" seats.  Accessibility is what we are famed for of course, but that doesn't make us immune to criticism, nor does it attract particular praise or recognition either; ironically people still attack OHP for elitism or accuse us of corporate cronyism.

The Inspire and free seats for young and old are increasingly difficult to provide and recruit sponsors for and we try to find ways to adapt the business model to maintain them. Obviously, if a generous soul out there wants to chuck some dosh into the pot, we will welcome that! Bringing the lowest and highest prices closer together is one way of adapting our financial plans because it means, we hope, that more people will visit more often - there is nothing secretive about that. Equally, the issue of  ticket discounting is one that the industry has to address, and we will be conducting no such discounting in 2015. The idea, I suppose, is that we offer a fair deal for a fair product: I am sure we can find plenty of examples of entertainment that costs far more, but isn't criticised for it.
Kate Bush at £130 a pop, anyone?
Footnote; in case there is any suspicion that the increase in Inspire pays for the other discounts....the value of income from the price rise in Inspire seats equates to approximately £4,000. For the red seat category in Trittico alone, the reduction equates to around £8,000. Multiply that across the whole range and season and you will realise these are real reductions.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gelb and The Met

Having posted a piece that was kind to critics and thus risking opprobrium from all quarters, I suppose I ought to be wary of writing a piece that is sympathetic to the current opera demon, Peter Gelb.  Let us be clear, I don't know what the detailed financial situation at the Met is, I don't know how its budgets are split and allocated, I don't know how much they spend on sets and productions. I just read selective figures used negatively and that is always something we should be wary of.  What Gelb and the Met are going through is probably entirely unique in the opera world given the scale of economics involved and the accusations of mismanagement that are being thrown around are hard to reconcile with some of the realities; it is certainly true, for example, that Gelb has taken the Met's turnover from $222 million to over $300 million in eight years which doesn't immediately suggest mismanagement, but that is as glib and superficial an analysis as anything else I

Honorary Doctorate acceptance speech

I have been asked for the text of my acceptance speech from the graduation ceremony at Oxford Brookes University, 20th June, 2016. The audience was 170 graduates, in various arts, performing, publishing and other creative disciplines, as well as hundreds of their family members. My intention was to confirm that in an age of undervalued arts education, their choices were the correct ones; that despite the prevailing desire of the government for more engineers, mathematicians and computer experts, their talents would come to be as valued as any others. ----------- It is with great surprise and pleasure that I come here today to accept this honorary doctorate, the giving of which is met with more pride than I can actually express. To be recognised by an academic institution is not something I ever thought possible as I grew up. My two oldest children have achieved far more than I have in academia, but, as a competitive Dad I just want to say to them…erm, Doctor?! I am also honoured

Sometimes, facts really don't matter to people

Since the Brexit vote, and especially since the recent Autumn statement, there has been something familiar nagging at me; the remarkable refusal of Brexiters to accept or acknowledge the facts set out by the government and in the OBR's forecasts. It reminds me of something, a feeling I have had before. I know that the expression post-truth annoys a lot of people, but it is a thing, it really exists. People, for whatever reason can knowingly refuse to accept bare facts when it suits them. It isn't a new phenomenon at all. I am bound to say, moreover, that I have tended to experience it in a malign sense, when the things people want to believe are unconscionable or driven by prejudice of one kind or another. Last night I remembered where it was that I had last seen the phenomenon and it was an experience that left me astonished at the time, but which also provoked in me a genuine disgust for my fellow citizens. I am afraid it is an unpleasant parallel scenario, but it was pro