Skip to main content

The English Baccalaureate; a 'modern' obsession


The government has recently launched their consultation on the extension of the English Baccalaureate to 90% of pupils by 2020. They are determined; the consultation allows no space in its questioning for any answers that articulate the view that the subjects contained within the EBacc are proscriptive and doctrinaire

Of course, the policy is draped in the kind of language many of us would find hard to disagree with: more core subjects, ensuring more of our pupils can read and write when they leave school or go on to higher education. Sure, young people should know their sums and sentences, their history and if possible another language. The other fanfare for the common man contained in the policy is the elevation of standards and examination quality. We have heard that before.

The five pillar themes from which pupils have to study 8 GCSEs in certain core subjects before anything else has naturally met with objection from the world of the arts. The language used by the government in its paper includes spiteful little corkers like "(the EBacc will) ensure that only vocational qualifications of real value to pupils and employers are taught in our schools and colleges." The emboldened text is theirs, not mine. I have a monstrous aversion to league tables for all the damage they do and the repulsive behaviour they encourage in some schools, and this policy is another contribution to the fatuous world of the educational spreadsheet, but I fear this is not the place for that.

Like many, I don't have an argument with the principle of solid educational values. But what I and many others do have a problem with is the insistence that music, art, drama et al are NOT solid educational subjects. As an employer, our company, although an arts institution, recruits people for all sorts of roles, not just singers, artists, musicians, but technicians, accountants, marketers, front of house staff and countless other skills and disciplines. I look to their cultural interests as a beacon marker of their abilities to analyse and think creatively. Indeed, an accountant who has never studied the arts in any capacity, is less likely to get the job. Cultural study makes you rounded and interesting but, crucially, also supports even the most scientific or technical thinking. Frankly, we like to employ human beings with a breadth of knowledge, an ability to express themselves, emotionally if necessary, even if they are a whizz with Excel. 

If you address the issue from a financial point of view, the folly is thrown into even sharper relief when you contemplate the worth of culture to this country, but I suppose the government believe that musicians, actors, writers, directors, producers and actors will just appear by magic?

I have written extensively about my own education and the richness of its cultural content so, like many of my contemporaries, I claim to have unquestionable evidence of its worth. I could be a bit tabloid about it and point out that by far the most frenzied public flocking is to TV programmes with a cultural, creative core subject; Strictly Come Dancing, Great British Bake Off and X Factor. And whilst the hebetudinous Dr Brian Cox experiences flocking, it is often found in the pretty wallpaper even he pastes onto his science programmes.

The argument from the cultural industry is not that children shouldn't learn about maths and science, but that the world is really not in a position to see a reduction in the experience and knowledge our population has of creativity and the enrichment provided by the arts. All of us have profound examples of how music, drama or any creative activity has changed the lives of challenged kids and most of us, whether in the industry or not, will understand the value of the arts in our lives. Many non-arts industries place a high value on applicants with arts qualifications. It seems perfectly reasonable to me to have seven core subjects in the EBacc with music, drama, art or dance permitted as an eighth. English Literature is included and although welcome, it isn't enough. 

The awful truth, however, is that if the government of a country that produced Elgar, Purcell, Margot Fontayne, Laurence Olivier, The Beatles et al. (make your own list) needs persuading of the value of a cultural education (and not just between the ages of five and 14) then - and you will excuse the uncultured nature of the phrase - we really are up shit creek without a paddle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gelb and The Met

Having posted a piece that was kind to critics and thus risking opprobrium from all quarters, I suppose I ought to be wary of writing a piece that is sympathetic to the current opera demon, Peter Gelb.  Let us be clear, I don't know what the detailed financial situation at the Met is, I don't know how its budgets are split and allocated, I don't know how much they spend on sets and productions. I just read selective figures used negatively and that is always something we should be wary of.  What Gelb and the Met are going through is probably entirely unique in the opera world given the scale of economics involved and the accusations of mismanagement that are being thrown around are hard to reconcile with some of the realities; it is certainly true, for example, that Gelb has taken the Met's turnover from $222 million to over $300 million in eight years which doesn't immediately suggest mismanagement, but that is as glib and superficial an analysis as anything else I

Honorary Doctorate acceptance speech

I have been asked for the text of my acceptance speech from the graduation ceremony at Oxford Brookes University, 20th June, 2016. The audience was 170 graduates, in various arts, performing, publishing and other creative disciplines, as well as hundreds of their family members. My intention was to confirm that in an age of undervalued arts education, their choices were the correct ones; that despite the prevailing desire of the government for more engineers, mathematicians and computer experts, their talents would come to be as valued as any others. ----------- It is with great surprise and pleasure that I come here today to accept this honorary doctorate, the giving of which is met with more pride than I can actually express. To be recognised by an academic institution is not something I ever thought possible as I grew up. My two oldest children have achieved far more than I have in academia, but, as a competitive Dad I just want to say to them…erm, Doctor?! I am also honoured

Sometimes, facts really don't matter to people

Since the Brexit vote, and especially since the recent Autumn statement, there has been something familiar nagging at me; the remarkable refusal of Brexiters to accept or acknowledge the facts set out by the government and in the OBR's forecasts. It reminds me of something, a feeling I have had before. I know that the expression post-truth annoys a lot of people, but it is a thing, it really exists. People, for whatever reason can knowingly refuse to accept bare facts when it suits them. It isn't a new phenomenon at all. I am bound to say, moreover, that I have tended to experience it in a malign sense, when the things people want to believe are unconscionable or driven by prejudice of one kind or another. Last night I remembered where it was that I had last seen the phenomenon and it was an experience that left me astonished at the time, but which also provoked in me a genuine disgust for my fellow citizens. I am afraid it is an unpleasant parallel scenario, but it was pro