Skip to main content

Nevermind the gaffer....



Cesc Fabregas's appearance on Sky with Thierry Henry last night has been seen by many as a confirmation that Chelsea players, and not the manager, are the true cause of the club's present malaise. But what Fabregas's appearance told me, quite categorically, was that the dressing room is a pernicious place to be. He was saying - and he would, wouldn't he? - that players had to take responsibility, had to lift themselves and show pride. What I didn't hear was any suggestion that the manager's behaviour had nothing to do with them being in the position they are in. This interview told me that the players recognise their responsibilities, but that it now doesn't matter how they got here and that they have to put in the hard yards to get themselves out of it. For me, rather than being a show of support for the manager, it was an interview with horrific subtexts. 

Henry, who as a consequence of his relationship with Fabregas likely knows far more about it than he can say on public television, arrowed in on this point when he suggested that whether you like Mourinho or not, he is now irrelevant and now is the time to show pride.  I have heard one fan say that Fabregas was suggesting players had "sabotaged" the season - we can't expect fans to hear anything but that which they want to hear, but Fabregas was saying nothing of the sort. Quite apart from his evident reluctance to be there, his language was, to anybody who cared to listen, damning. It is possible that Mourinho himself may have misunderstood it as well, but then, he does live in his own peculiar mental Ivory Tower.

Footballers are sensitive and precious and, above all, human. Fabregas can only go so far in what he says; and one would expect him to say the players need to show more. They do. But I found the interview painfully revealing of how they are all feeling at the moment. For football fans, the blame game is based on very, very thin lines. Right now, partly because of their adoration of Mourinho and partly because Mourinho goes out of his way to inform the narratives of player failure and betrayal, the fans are pouring a great deal of hate onto the team. Last year, when the same group won the league, they were of course pouring all the love onto Mourinho. Such is life and we have seen all this before from Jose. Some of us have always felt that Jose couldn't turn this around: he needed to take a very different course to the one he has evidently chosen, but as I suspected, that seems beyond his personality. It was fascinating (and alarmingly predictable) to hear him talk about how he elevated these players last season; I wonder if it would be scarcely credible if I were to have invented half of what he says sometimes, but with such comments, it is not difficult to see why the players probably wouldn't mind seeing the back of him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gelb and The Met

Having posted a piece that was kind to critics and thus risking opprobrium from all quarters, I suppose I ought to be wary of writing a piece that is sympathetic to the current opera demon, Peter Gelb.  Let us be clear, I don't know what the detailed financial situation at the Met is, I don't know how its budgets are split and allocated, I don't know how much they spend on sets and productions. I just read selective figures used negatively and that is always something we should be wary of.  What Gelb and the Met are going through is probably entirely unique in the opera world given the scale of economics involved and the accusations of mismanagement that are being thrown around are hard to reconcile with some of the realities; it is certainly true, for example, that Gelb has taken the Met's turnover from $222 million to over $300 million in eight years which doesn't immediately suggest mismanagement, but that is as glib and superficial an analysis as anything else I

Honorary Doctorate acceptance speech

I have been asked for the text of my acceptance speech from the graduation ceremony at Oxford Brookes University, 20th June, 2016. The audience was 170 graduates, in various arts, performing, publishing and other creative disciplines, as well as hundreds of their family members. My intention was to confirm that in an age of undervalued arts education, their choices were the correct ones; that despite the prevailing desire of the government for more engineers, mathematicians and computer experts, their talents would come to be as valued as any others. ----------- It is with great surprise and pleasure that I come here today to accept this honorary doctorate, the giving of which is met with more pride than I can actually express. To be recognised by an academic institution is not something I ever thought possible as I grew up. My two oldest children have achieved far more than I have in academia, but, as a competitive Dad I just want to say to them…erm, Doctor?! I am also honoured

Sometimes, facts really don't matter to people

Since the Brexit vote, and especially since the recent Autumn statement, there has been something familiar nagging at me; the remarkable refusal of Brexiters to accept or acknowledge the facts set out by the government and in the OBR's forecasts. It reminds me of something, a feeling I have had before. I know that the expression post-truth annoys a lot of people, but it is a thing, it really exists. People, for whatever reason can knowingly refuse to accept bare facts when it suits them. It isn't a new phenomenon at all. I am bound to say, moreover, that I have tended to experience it in a malign sense, when the things people want to believe are unconscionable or driven by prejudice of one kind or another. Last night I remembered where it was that I had last seen the phenomenon and it was an experience that left me astonished at the time, but which also provoked in me a genuine disgust for my fellow citizens. I am afraid it is an unpleasant parallel scenario, but it was pro