Skip to main content

Hymn to the game - our day at Wembley

Myself, Rob, Adam and Harry from the "Footy to Verdi' film will be joining 21 other singers from diverse backgrounds to lead the singing of Abide with Me at the Emirates FA Cup Final on 27th May. The choir has been put together by tenor Sean Ruane's  CHANT Productions on behalf of The FA

Collective singing is something we have all done at one time or another in our lives: at school, church, weddings, funerals, during the national anthem and, of course, at football matches.

Hymns have a special place in the hearts of any nation, perhaps because of religion or just national pride. How many of us name 'Jerusalem' as their school hymn? Indeed, so prevalent is that piece in our society, so all encompassing is it's role as the country's favourite,  I even know a Scottish church in London where it is permitted to be sung at weddings.

Sport and singing are intertwined and have been for many years. Football and rugby fans know this better than most,  and even the most self-effacing singer will belt out a hymn from the terrace because there is something noble and uplifting about the sentiments of many hymns: the glory, the sacrifice. Sports fans are melodramatic souls at heart and we are never afraid to express it vocally in the arenas we occupy, although we wouldn't be found doing it solo to an audience.

It is, of course, my job to encourage people to enjoy singing, mainly as audience members, but I was a keen chorister at school and whilst I don't do it often, when the chance appears I tend to take it. My children used to be horrified at my lusty roar from the back of their Christmas Carol concerts when the congregation were invited to join in. Now, however, as me and my pals from the  Footy to Verdi film face the prospect of singing Abide With Me in front of 90,000 people at Wembley at the Emirates FA Cup Final - and a few hundred millions more on worldwide television - my love of singing will be tested this is no time for reservation or timidity. Furthermore, this is 'Abide with me' the hymn to faith, death and sacrifice that has been the FA Cup hymn for about 90 years. And I, along with 23 others  will lead the nation in its delivery on Cup Final day. The hymn, which does have funereal overtones and thus may be considered an odd choice for the occasion, was nevertheless first introduced as part of a campaign to encourage community singing, so in that respect, its enduring presence at the Cup Final remains apposite.

Now, I can hold a tune, I will be honest, and beyond the mind-boggling audience numbers, two verses of Abide with Me is no huge vocal challenge. Yet I am an amateur and because of my job, frequently find myself singing at events or carol concerts standing next to people who belt out Puccini in opera houses (imagine taking your shirt off next to a young Arnold Schwarzenegger and you get the idea of how that feels). The real purpose of accepting this invitation from Chant Productions to participate in something few - if any - of us have ever done before is to reinforce the belief that singing  is one of life's great, cathartic experiences, one that enriches and fulfils us in ways we hardly realise is possible until we have done it. And as I have been telling Adam, Rob and Harry, it will be an experience we are unlikely to be given  a repeat chance of having. I imagine you think that the 'experience' will be found in the act of standing on Wembley's hallowed turf, or the fact it will be on television etc. Well, I am sure that will bring a thrill too, but I think the real memories will be of how it sounds – and feels -  to be at the centre of 90,000 voices singing a glorious hymn that has found a place in the hearts of a nation. 

The music will be what I remember, the collective experience of the musical roar of those thousands of people, not the urgings and howling of a football crowd in thrall to the match, but one that is in unison, note for note, beat for beat. Hymns are religious, but often their sentiment, whether you have faith or not, is what moves us, and few hymns offer the supplicant admissions of weakness and need, the pleading and humility  of Abide with Me. We can all find relevance in its words, even in a football context and sport evokes the kind of emotional wringing-out we experience when we hear great music. The two belong together. And I, along with my fellow choristers, will be belting it out full tilt when the time comes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gelb and The Met

Having posted a piece that was kind to critics and thus risking opprobrium from all quarters, I suppose I ought to be wary of writing a piece that is sympathetic to the current opera demon, Peter Gelb.  Let us be clear, I don't know what the detailed financial situation at the Met is, I don't know how its budgets are split and allocated, I don't know how much they spend on sets and productions. I just read selective figures used negatively and that is always something we should be wary of.  What Gelb and the Met are going through is probably entirely unique in the opera world given the scale of economics involved and the accusations of mismanagement that are being thrown around are hard to reconcile with some of the realities; it is certainly true, for example, that Gelb has taken the Met's turnover from $222 million to over $300 million in eight years which doesn't immediately suggest mismanagement, but that is as glib and superficial an analysis as anything else I

Honorary Doctorate acceptance speech

I have been asked for the text of my acceptance speech from the graduation ceremony at Oxford Brookes University, 20th June, 2016. The audience was 170 graduates, in various arts, performing, publishing and other creative disciplines, as well as hundreds of their family members. My intention was to confirm that in an age of undervalued arts education, their choices were the correct ones; that despite the prevailing desire of the government for more engineers, mathematicians and computer experts, their talents would come to be as valued as any others. ----------- It is with great surprise and pleasure that I come here today to accept this honorary doctorate, the giving of which is met with more pride than I can actually express. To be recognised by an academic institution is not something I ever thought possible as I grew up. My two oldest children have achieved far more than I have in academia, but, as a competitive Dad I just want to say to them…erm, Doctor?! I am also honoured

Sometimes, facts really don't matter to people

Since the Brexit vote, and especially since the recent Autumn statement, there has been something familiar nagging at me; the remarkable refusal of Brexiters to accept or acknowledge the facts set out by the government and in the OBR's forecasts. It reminds me of something, a feeling I have had before. I know that the expression post-truth annoys a lot of people, but it is a thing, it really exists. People, for whatever reason can knowingly refuse to accept bare facts when it suits them. It isn't a new phenomenon at all. I am bound to say, moreover, that I have tended to experience it in a malign sense, when the things people want to believe are unconscionable or driven by prejudice of one kind or another. Last night I remembered where it was that I had last seen the phenomenon and it was an experience that left me astonished at the time, but which also provoked in me a genuine disgust for my fellow citizens. I am afraid it is an unpleasant parallel scenario, but it was pro