Skip to main content

The best laid plans....


I had it all planned.
Tonight would have been the 31st opening night of my Opera Holland Park career. And my last, too. I retire from the company on the 30th September this year and I had intended to use the ten weeks of music-making and the conviviality for which the venue is famed as a backdrop to say an awful lot of farewells. Those after show drinks, served in coup, flute and miniature and usually filled with a concoction of James Clutton's invention will be no more. Anxious looks at the weather forecast are gone too (not a loss) but most of all, I have been shorn of the chance to celebrate with all the team after each – always different – adrenalin filled night of wonderment; committed professionals who, like the singers who come off the stage, are crackling with the release of the night's pressures, having made a contribution to the enrichment of a thousand people. After all, that is the particular elixir we crave and it is why we do it.

I'm not dwelling too much on the reasons for it; my last few months have been spent focusing on that and it has been exhausting worrying about – and trying to ensure - the future of the company. We have been, I am pleased to say, successful and today we also announce our plans for the future. I say 'our', but it is more 'theirs' now and I take some comfort in knowing it is in a good place. This is not the place for a post-mortem on Covid-19. Suffice to say I just look ahead and know it will be normal again. Somehow.

The journey I have taken is one I have written about before. OHP was entirely connected to every aspect of my life's journey – it was indeed a life's work. Marriages, divorces, children, and tragedy.

So much tragedy. These were events, both personal and company, whose grief and exquisite pain became expressed and entwined - every time - with our work.

Grenfell wove itself into our company history in the most unwelcome of ways, but we nevertheless rose to our greatest heights both in dealing with it, and in our support of the community through our art. It imposed upon us a duty, too, and it is one the company and I will continue to fulfil. Debbie Lamprell is a name we all carry in our hearts now and her mother is within our protective embrace.

I intend to continue working but I wonder if I will ever find myself in a role that is so all consuming? OHP is a musical enterprise, but it was an 'event' too. The whole experience requires design and detail, creating the crucible for the work to weave its spell. I have said it before, but this industry requires the inversion of your soul – you'd better learn that if you want to make your career in it.

I have, of course, made countless friends among the talented and vivacious opera community – the people who bring it all to life. Working with and among talent – singers, musicians designers, directors and craftspeople – is a reward without end. The depths of connection in a world of creativity are often mocked and ridiculed as artsy affectation -and it can be, of course – but often it is too difficult to explain the unspoken bond, the mood that can overwhelm. My friendships are not reserved for the artists; the patrons will be missed. These are people who 25 years or so ago listened to the ideas I had and believed in them. Many of them are still here, right by the company's side. They have also shared this journey and it has never, ever become something we take for granted. I still stand before them at events and find myself bewildered and humbled that they took those chances on us. Truth be told, they are the ones who built Opera Holland Park once we'd laid the foundations.

Before the year is out I will thank and praise everybody who has anything to do with OHP. My time is not quite done here, but I will be off to stomp in grass of another colour. I want it that way, it is time.  I wanted that final season, though. I wanted to see it with retrospective eyes, to gaze back on our achievements in the midst of new ones and tell myself that, yes, the gobby, truculent street kid had been, occasionally, noisy at the right times. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gelb and The Met

Having posted a piece that was kind to critics and thus risking opprobrium from all quarters, I suppose I ought to be wary of writing a piece that is sympathetic to the current opera demon, Peter Gelb.  Let us be clear, I don't know what the detailed financial situation at the Met is, I don't know how its budgets are split and allocated, I don't know how much they spend on sets and productions. I just read selective figures used negatively and that is always something we should be wary of.  What Gelb and the Met are going through is probably entirely unique in the opera world given the scale of economics involved and the accusations of mismanagement that are being thrown around are hard to reconcile with some of the realities; it is certainly true, for example, that Gelb has taken the Met's turnover from $222 million to over $300 million in eight years which doesn't immediately suggest mismanagement, but that is as glib and superficial an analysis as anything else I

Honorary Doctorate acceptance speech

I have been asked for the text of my acceptance speech from the graduation ceremony at Oxford Brookes University, 20th June, 2016. The audience was 170 graduates, in various arts, performing, publishing and other creative disciplines, as well as hundreds of their family members. My intention was to confirm that in an age of undervalued arts education, their choices were the correct ones; that despite the prevailing desire of the government for more engineers, mathematicians and computer experts, their talents would come to be as valued as any others. ----------- It is with great surprise and pleasure that I come here today to accept this honorary doctorate, the giving of which is met with more pride than I can actually express. To be recognised by an academic institution is not something I ever thought possible as I grew up. My two oldest children have achieved far more than I have in academia, but, as a competitive Dad I just want to say to them…erm, Doctor?! I am also honoured

Sometimes, facts really don't matter to people

Since the Brexit vote, and especially since the recent Autumn statement, there has been something familiar nagging at me; the remarkable refusal of Brexiters to accept or acknowledge the facts set out by the government and in the OBR's forecasts. It reminds me of something, a feeling I have had before. I know that the expression post-truth annoys a lot of people, but it is a thing, it really exists. People, for whatever reason can knowingly refuse to accept bare facts when it suits them. It isn't a new phenomenon at all. I am bound to say, moreover, that I have tended to experience it in a malign sense, when the things people want to believe are unconscionable or driven by prejudice of one kind or another. Last night I remembered where it was that I had last seen the phenomenon and it was an experience that left me astonished at the time, but which also provoked in me a genuine disgust for my fellow citizens. I am afraid it is an unpleasant parallel scenario, but it was pro