Skip to main content

What's your poison?

Some of you may know that at OHP, James has become our resident mixologist, inventing along with his wife Angela, cocktails for each opera. Members of the tasting panel (me and a couple of members of the team) have to go through an arduous process of trying out different iterations of each creation before we give it the rubber stamp....ahem


So it is with some pleasure that we learn James has arranged for one of his inspirational figures, Tony Conigliaro to do something similar in the theatre on 30th July. The copy below is hot off the press and hasn't gone on our website yet, so consider this a sneak preview, you lucky people.


What's not to like? Very special and very exclusive. Don't miss it.


Cocktails and Opera!


Opera Holland Park is proud to announce a spectacular evening of world-class mixology and glorious opera.

 

No list of London's best cocktail bars is complete without mention of Tony Conigliaro. An expert alchemist and award-winning barman, his inventive drinks at 69 Colebrooke Row and Grainstore Restaurant have put Tony at forefront of the cocktail world. He is famous for his stylish spins on classics, for new classics of his own invention, drinks based on their perfume and groundbreaking savoury drinks.

 

We are delighted to announce that Tony has accepted OHP's invitation to create a cocktail inspired by one of this season's operas - Adriana Lecouvreur. Such an effervescent opera with chemicals and violets at its heart should give Tony ample room to demonstrate his skills with flavours and cocktail technique.

 

On 30th July there will be an exclusive opportunity for audience members to that night's performance of Cilea's magnificent and heartbreaking opera to hear Tony talk about the cocktail he has created for us - and to try it. Places are very limited at this exclusive pre-show event which will be a rare chance to hear direct from Tony Conigliaro about his work.

 

The event will take place in the stylish Dutch Garden Lounge, overlooking the formal gardens of the park and begins at 6.15pm. The opera begins at 7.30pm.

It promises to be a real treat for lovers of cocktails and opera alike.

 

Cocktail and Opera package price £70

 

To book one of the limited space click this link. The promotional code is automatically entered. Just follow the instructions – if you have difficulties, telephone the box office on 0300 999 1000  http://bookings.operahollandpark.com/single/SelectSeating.aspx?promo=cocktails&p=4857

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gelb and The Met

Having posted a piece that was kind to critics and thus risking opprobrium from all quarters, I suppose I ought to be wary of writing a piece that is sympathetic to the current opera demon, Peter Gelb.  Let us be clear, I don't know what the detailed financial situation at the Met is, I don't know how its budgets are split and allocated, I don't know how much they spend on sets and productions. I just read selective figures used negatively and that is always something we should be wary of.  What Gelb and the Met are going through is probably entirely unique in the opera world given the scale of economics involved and the accusations of mismanagement that are being thrown around are hard to reconcile with some of the realities; it is certainly true, for example, that Gelb has taken the Met's turnover from $222 million to over $300 million in eight years which doesn't immediately suggest mismanagement, but that is as glib and superficial an analysis as anything else I

Honorary Doctorate acceptance speech

I have been asked for the text of my acceptance speech from the graduation ceremony at Oxford Brookes University, 20th June, 2016. The audience was 170 graduates, in various arts, performing, publishing and other creative disciplines, as well as hundreds of their family members. My intention was to confirm that in an age of undervalued arts education, their choices were the correct ones; that despite the prevailing desire of the government for more engineers, mathematicians and computer experts, their talents would come to be as valued as any others. ----------- It is with great surprise and pleasure that I come here today to accept this honorary doctorate, the giving of which is met with more pride than I can actually express. To be recognised by an academic institution is not something I ever thought possible as I grew up. My two oldest children have achieved far more than I have in academia, but, as a competitive Dad I just want to say to them…erm, Doctor?! I am also honoured

Sometimes, facts really don't matter to people

Since the Brexit vote, and especially since the recent Autumn statement, there has been something familiar nagging at me; the remarkable refusal of Brexiters to accept or acknowledge the facts set out by the government and in the OBR's forecasts. It reminds me of something, a feeling I have had before. I know that the expression post-truth annoys a lot of people, but it is a thing, it really exists. People, for whatever reason can knowingly refuse to accept bare facts when it suits them. It isn't a new phenomenon at all. I am bound to say, moreover, that I have tended to experience it in a malign sense, when the things people want to believe are unconscionable or driven by prejudice of one kind or another. Last night I remembered where it was that I had last seen the phenomenon and it was an experience that left me astonished at the time, but which also provoked in me a genuine disgust for my fellow citizens. I am afraid it is an unpleasant parallel scenario, but it was pro